Our naturally raised pigs get year-round access to the outdoors and a dirt floor area in the barn. They are grow fat, happy, and are one of our most entertaining livestock animals to hang out with when they're not napping.
The pigs we raise are mixed breed. This means they get the best traits of different breeds and are healthier because of it. Once hogs are on our farm they are not given vaccines, medicated feed or any growth boosters. We believe in proactive wellness and supporting our animals through the following practices.
- have large outdoor paddocks with dirt and grass to forage depending on the time of year.
- have unlimited access to fresh water.
- have unlimited access to natural feed with probiotics, specifically formulated to their nutritional needs. Our feed is is from a local grain coop so that we know it is fresh. It does have corn and soy in it that may or may not be gmo. We know local farmers who grow both so it is likely a mix.
- while our feed does contain some locally grown soy, we have found being able to feed our hogs the right protein formulation for optimal health is the most important "ingredient". Local farmers do not treat their bean plants when pods are growing.
- eat grass, herbs, apples, pumpkins, other seasonal produce, raw milk, eggs and scraps from our table.
- have access to wallow in warm weather for cooling off and keeping bugs away.
- have access to indoor shelter at all times.
- are never given steroids, medications, chemical antibiotics, hormone boosters or vaccinations on our farm.
The Little Red Farm provides pork to our community through a herdshare option.
- If you would like access to our farm fresh pork you can inquire about becoming a herdshare owner at the counter in the farmers market shop during guest hours. We do not discuss or offer herdshares over the phone or website or email due to the need for legal paperwork and signatures.
- LRF provides all animal care, processes our hogs at a local custom exempt meat locker (not USDA inspected), and stores meat here for our herdshare members until they are ready to pick up.
- Herdshare owners pay an annual fee as well as other herdshare fees to the farm.
- Meat acquired through herdshare may not be resold or donated and is for personal use only.
Our pork is available in our Farmers Market Shop to our herdshare owners. This list is what we typically have stored in our freezers availble to herdshare owners.
- Cottage Bacon
- Pork Sausage
- Maple Sausage
- Italian Sausage
- Spicy Sausage
- Ground Pork
- Sausage Links
- Pork Ribs
- Pork Chops
- Pork Steak
- Pork Roast
- Ham Hock
- Ham Roast
- Ham Steak
Occasionally ½ or whole hogs are available and customers pay by hanging weight to the farm and processing fees to the meat locker.
To see an example of cost and purchase details click HERE
Never ordered custom meat before? Check out this video to get the scoop on what to expect.
If you have already looked through details and would like to request custom meat, you can add your name to the request form HERE