Broiler chickens from LRF are a jumbo crossbreed of meat bird, the Cornish Cross. These birds have a fast rate of growth, resulting in a large but young chicken with tender meat.
Reserve your bird HERE!
Little Red Farm live broiler chickens:
- free range within the interior farm yard.
- have unlimited access to fresh water.
- have unlimited access to an all natural feed blend specifically formulated to their breed.
- eat grass, herbs, bugs.
- have access to dirt to dust bath for good health.
- have access to indoor shelter at all times.
- are never given steroids, chemical antibiotics or vaccinations.
- hormone additives for poultry have been illegal for 50 years and the "no hormoes added" label on most natural poultry is simply a marketing ploy.
Little Red Farm roasting poultry:
- is currently processed at Duncan's Poultry LLC .
- is packaged without preservatives.
- should be refrigerated for 2-5 days after processing before freezing to reach optimum tenderness. Fresh meat goes through chemical changes in the muscle tissue. This break down is the same reason beef is aged and your chicken needs to "age" before being frozen. Processing date will be marked on your packaging.
- should ALWAYS be kept chilled below 40 degrees F. This will yield a 10 day shelf life.
- can be stored at in a deep freeze for up to 6 months.
Food Safety and Inspection Service recommends cooking whole chicken to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F as measured using a food thermometer. When checking the temperature, check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast.